These are my links for August 22nd through September 5th:
- Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting and Style Guide –
tags: howto referencing
- SIMMSpace – Online Dissertation Binding (Postgraduate) –
tags: thesis binding
- Why film schools teach screenwriters not to pass the Bechdel test — The Hathor Legacy – While writing Female characters exist to promote male leads for network profits, I realized something I had never quite put together in so many words. It’s important enough to deserve its own article (thanks, Bellatrys!), so here it is: my screenwriting professors taught me not to write scripts that passed the Bechdel/Mo Movie Measure/”Dykes To Watch Out For” test, and I can tell you why, and this needs to be known.
tags: culture feminism film writing gender
- Foreign Film Week: Female Empowerment, a Critique of Patriarchy…Is ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ the Most Feminist Action Film Ever? | Bitch Flicks – Can an action film portray exquisitely choreographed fighting
scenes, badass fully dimensional ladies, tragic romantic love and make a searing social
statement? Yes, yes, yes. One of my favorite films, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is an undoubtedly feminist action
film with a potent gender commentary woven throughout.
tags: women film feminism CrouchingTigerHiddenDragon
- Feedly v17 requires re-login with every visit in Opera 12.16 – Opera browser – Opera Community –
tags: feedly google opera
These are my links for June 13th through June 24th:
These are my links for April 18th:
These are my links for February 18th through February 22nd:
- Life With and Without Animated Ducks: The Future Is Gender Distributed – Charlie’s Diary – Yet it seems silly to get excited about that. It might be cool because the word nanotechnology is involved, but it's not like the camera on the iPhone might be a tiny bit better, am I right? Things culturally associated with women pretty regularly get sniffed at as silly or insignificant or stupid or boring–even if men need clean clothes, too, even if some men somewhere surely do laundry.
tags: gender technology
- [toread] Microspore 03 by deathboy on SoundCloud – Create, record and share your sounds for free – I've written a short piece to accompany Jeff Noon's Microspore 03 – get some freaky techno soundscape down you!
- [toread] img.ly photo sharing service for twitter – Here is a big list of companies to boycott the crap out of.
- Pipopotamus: An Open Letter to Channel 4 – I am writing to you with the hope that you will stop ruining my life. While you're obsession with my ethnicity is flattering, it has become somewhat apparent to me that you might have gotten the wrong end of the stick. This is sort of awkward for me, because I don't want to be the one to break it to you, but your documentary, 'Big Fat Gypsy Weddings', is unfortunately a work of fiction. There is no need to be embarrassed, it can happen to the best of us, and thus I hope my letter will help you establish the facts, after all I'm sure you are passionate about fighting discrimination against ethnic minorities. Don't be modest now, we know you are…right?
tags: bigfatgypsywedding channel4 gypsy traveller romany
- The Cornell Ratio: Should SFF Convention Panels Be 50/50 Male and Female? | Tor.com – The idea seemed simple, with Paul offering to use himself as a “blunt instrument” to address the issue of gender parity; he decided that when he was present on any convention panel this year, if the panel did not have a 50/50 gender split, then he would politely step down and find a woman to take his place.
tags: conventionpanels sciencefiction scifi gender men women genderparity conventions discussion
These are my links for February 15th through February 18th:
These are my links for January 31st through February 1st:
These are my links for January 20th through January 23rd:
- [toread] Dan O’Connell: I genuinely miss
great music TV | | Independent Arts – News, notes and quotes on the Arts world – Blogs – Hello you! I wrote a blog about our TV show for the @theindynews Last 3 shows are on Wednesday night, C4.
- Why the left needs to keep the faith | Hynd’s Blog – ‘Politics and religion should not mix’. This is the mantra that is lazily wheeled out by self congratulating lefties as they marvel in their own enlightened wisdom. I come across well meaning social progressives who openly shun the role of faith based organisations as either an evangelical force that should be scorned, or, at best, a tool by which individuals can act out their selfish desire to please the big man upstairs. This lingering stereotype of faith based organisations not only alienates billions around the world who see their faith as their primary moral compass but also pragmatically restricts social movement’s ability to bring about the change they are so desperate to see.
tags: politics religion peace cooperation
- Girls can love computing; someone just needs to show them how | Teacher Network Blog | Guardian Professional – Thanks to the ubiquity of the internet and social media sites like Facebook, children and young adults, girls just as much as boys, now handle laptops and smartphones confidently, taking for granted their ability to use such highly complex technology without much effort.
Why is it then that the other end of this spectrum, the side which produces technology rather than just consuming it, is still widely regarded as a a "boys only" club?
tags: computer_science girls women technology
- Will Cameron’s call for popular films mean more silent comedies? | Stewart Lee | Comment is free | The Observer – David Cameron's advice to the British film industry is at odds with the nature of creativity
tags: stewartlee film uk
- Internet Regulation & the Economics of Piracy | Cato @ Liberty – One reason is that they already are recapturing much of that revenue through “complementary” purchases. As Oberholzer-Gee observes, recording industry numbers show large increases in concert revenues corresponding to the drop in recorded music sales. That suggests that, as people discover new artists by sampling downloaded albums online, they’re shifting consumption within the sector to live performances. In other words, people have a roughly constant “music budget,” and what they don’t spend on the albums they’ve downloaded gets spent on seeing that new band they discovered. For the firms that specifically make their money from the sale of recordings, that may seem like cold comfort, but if we’re concerned with the music industry as a whole, it’s a wash. Something similar might occur with respect to purchases of merchandise based on licensed film properties.
tags: piracy internet music film
These are my links for October 13th through October 17th:
- [toread] Imperial Leisure: Death To The One Trick Pony | PledgeMusic –
- Tiger Beatdown › On Blogging, Threats, and Silence – Content note: This post includes excerpts of threats and abusive language.
tags: blogging feminism
- On being harassed: a little GF history and some current events | Geek Feminism Blog – What you’ll see there, if you brave the comment threads, are lots of attempts at derailing and 101 style conversations. For the most part, I deleted the particularly vile stuff, but you can bet there was some. After dealing with those comment threads, and those on subsequent related blog posts, I decided to create the GF blog. I wanted a group blog where, when I was exhausted by it all, I could get help from my co-bloggers.
tags: blog blogging feminism
- [toread] It’s 2011 — Why Is God Still Involved In American Politics? | Belief | AlterNet –
tags: politics religion gods secular church state
- Female Super-Hero Characters and Sex: Creators Explain How Comics Can Do Better – ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews – There has been a lot of discussion — and controversy — recently about the presence of women in super-hero comics, both in terms of the relative lack of female creators and the problematic way that female characters are sometimes represented. We've heard numerous fans and professionals hashing out the issue, and asking what mainstream comics can do to improve the way female characters are written and drawn.
tags: comics women superheroes sex sexism male_gaze
These are my links for October 9th through October 10th: