These are my links for July 25th through July 30th:
These are my links for April 2nd through April 3rd:
These are my links for March 22nd through April 1st:
- Robin Hood 2×05 part 2 – YouTube –
tags: robinhood bbcrobinhood 2×05 video
- ROBIN HOOD Series Two, Episode Five Ducking and Diving –
tags: robinhood bbcrobinhood 2×05 transcript
- Negative capability – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – Negative capability is the state of creative opposition that allows one to transcend any intellectual or social constraint, and to perceive and to think more than any presupposition of human nature allows
tags: philosophy keats negative_capability
- [toread] Floating Utopias — In These Times – Since 2003, a colossal barge called the Freedom Ship, of debatable tax status, should have been chugging with majestic aimlessness from port to port, a leviathan rover with more than 40,000 wealthy full-time residents living, working and playing on deck. That was the aim eight years ago when the project first made headlines, confidently claiming that construction would start in 2000.
tags: architecture politics china_mieville
- [toread] Knight News Challenge | Briar: A Secure News and Discussion System – Check it, and spread the word. Briar: ultra-secure comms tools for journalists, activists & civil society:
These are my links for February 15th through February 18th:
These are my links for January 20th through January 23rd:
- [toread] Dan O’Connell: I genuinely miss
great music TV | | Independent Arts – News, notes and quotes on the Arts world – Blogs – Hello you! I wrote a blog about our TV show for the @theindynews Last 3 shows are on Wednesday night, C4.
- Why the left needs to keep the faith | Hynd’s Blog – ‘Politics and religion should not mix’. This is the mantra that is lazily wheeled out by self congratulating lefties as they marvel in their own enlightened wisdom. I come across well meaning social progressives who openly shun the role of faith based organisations as either an evangelical force that should be scorned, or, at best, a tool by which individuals can act out their selfish desire to please the big man upstairs. This lingering stereotype of faith based organisations not only alienates billions around the world who see their faith as their primary moral compass but also pragmatically restricts social movement’s ability to bring about the change they are so desperate to see.
tags: politics religion peace cooperation
- Girls can love computing; someone just needs to show them how | Teacher Network Blog | Guardian Professional – Thanks to the ubiquity of the internet and social media sites like Facebook, children and young adults, girls just as much as boys, now handle laptops and smartphones confidently, taking for granted their ability to use such highly complex technology without much effort.
Why is it then that the other end of this spectrum, the side which produces technology rather than just consuming it, is still widely regarded as a a "boys only" club?
tags: computer_science girls women technology
- Will Cameron’s call for popular films mean more silent comedies? | Stewart Lee | Comment is free | The Observer – David Cameron's advice to the British film industry is at odds with the nature of creativity
tags: stewartlee film uk
- Internet Regulation & the Economics of Piracy | Cato @ Liberty – One reason is that they already are recapturing much of that revenue through “complementary” purchases. As Oberholzer-Gee observes, recording industry numbers show large increases in concert revenues corresponding to the drop in recorded music sales. That suggests that, as people discover new artists by sampling downloaded albums online, they’re shifting consumption within the sector to live performances. In other words, people have a roughly constant “music budget,” and what they don’t spend on the albums they’ve downloaded gets spent on seeing that new band they discovered. For the firms that specifically make their money from the sale of recordings, that may seem like cold comfort, but if we’re concerned with the music industry as a whole, it’s a wash. Something similar might occur with respect to purchases of merchandise based on licensed film properties.
tags: piracy internet music film
These are my links for October 13th through October 17th:
- [toread] Imperial Leisure: Death To The One Trick Pony | PledgeMusic –
- Tiger Beatdown › On Blogging, Threats, and Silence – Content note: This post includes excerpts of threats and abusive language.
tags: blogging feminism
- On being harassed: a little GF history and some current events | Geek Feminism Blog – What you’ll see there, if you brave the comment threads, are lots of attempts at derailing and 101 style conversations. For the most part, I deleted the particularly vile stuff, but you can bet there was some. After dealing with those comment threads, and those on subsequent related blog posts, I decided to create the GF blog. I wanted a group blog where, when I was exhausted by it all, I could get help from my co-bloggers.
tags: blog blogging feminism
- [toread] It’s 2011 — Why Is God Still Involved In American Politics? | Belief | AlterNet –
tags: politics religion gods secular church state
- Female Super-Hero Characters and Sex: Creators Explain How Comics Can Do Better – ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews – There has been a lot of discussion — and controversy — recently about the presence of women in super-hero comics, both in terms of the relative lack of female creators and the problematic way that female characters are sometimes represented. We've heard numerous fans and professionals hashing out the issue, and asking what mainstream comics can do to improve the way female characters are written and drawn.
tags: comics women superheroes sex sexism male_gaze