These are my links for February 15th through February 18th:
- [toread] Social Text: Periscope: Socialist Irrealism: an interview with China Miéville – Known for his radical fictive speculation, China Miéville is also fiercely engaged with radical politics–he stood for the House of Commons as candidate for the Socialist Alliance in the 2001 UK general election–and so is often asked about the relationship between his politics and his writing. He explains that he makes an important distinction between writing fiction to make political points and writing with a political perspective.
tags: china_mieville fiction politics
- [toread] >>Nostalgia For Infinity – The Uncanny in China Miéville’s “New Weird”: An Examination of Perdido Street Station and The Scar (December 2003) – In the course of this essay we shall examine the Weird Fiction of China Miéville, considering it as Uncanny literature. We will also consider the advent of the “New Weird”, specifically in how this relates to the Uncanny.
tags: china_mieville shauncgreen uncanny newweird sciencefiction scifi fiction essay
- What Size Am I? – Finding clothes that fit shouldn't be so hard. Add your measurements here to find out which high-street sizes are best for you.
tags: clothes clothing cool shopping fashion women
- The Hobbit: Deciphering Dwarf Documents « Heirs of Durin – Having discovered the highest resolution images yet of Bilbo holding the contract which Thorin and Co. wrote (see end of post), I’ve spent more time than I’ll admit trying to work out what it says. You think Bilbo looks perplexed? I might have had better luck with the Dead Sea Scrolls. My findings are based on some visible evidence, and a whole lot of guesswork. Even so, the truly Hobbit/Dwarf-obsessed will be interested in what I’ve been able to discern, and perhaps will continue the study on their own.
tags: hobbit hobbitmovie dwarven bilbo bilbobaggins
- [toread] What’s your perfect fitting top, skirt and dress on the highstreet? | News | guardian.co.uk – We all know that there's no such thing as a size 10. But I'm a computer programmer as well as a fashion fan, so I built a website to beat the sizing madness
tags: data statistics women clothes fashion retail